It's official, Sherrod Brown: I'm On Your Side

Posted by Brown06 1 comments  

Earlier today, I began to inform my friends and colleagues that I will run for the United States Senate in 2006.

Due to personal and professional obligations, I was unable to enter the race earlier this year. For the first half of 2005, I devoted my entire professional life to leading the bipartisan effort against the Central American Free Trade Agreement. I also walked my daughter down the aisle at her wedding and sent two more daughters off to college.

The requests for me to run never abated. When my duties in Congress and at home changed, I was able to reconsider my decision. After consulting with my family, fellow Ohioans, and state and national leaders in the Democratic Party, I was honored to accept the call to run statewide.

I look forward to fighting for Ohio's working families. Ohio deserves to once again enjoy good-paying jobs with benefits. Our children deserve a quality education, and tuition every family can afford. Our families deserve access to affordable health care, health insurance, and prescription drugs. And we must finally bring down out-of-control gas prices with an energy policy that places consumers before corporate profits.

The culture of corruption plaguing state and federal government has led our state down the wrong path and it is time for change. As Ohio's next Senator, I will help lead our state toward promise and prosperity.

I will make a formal announcement with my family and supporters at a large public event later this month.